Thursday 30 August 2012

Summer Blues...

At this time of the year I always find myself asking where has this summer gone?  With only a few days of August left before we enter into September and then into autumn and winter, I wonder why the summer has past so quickly this year, why I didn't have that many BBQs and dreading the thought of the cold, wet, darker days of the winter fast approaching.  Despite all these things autumn is actually my favourite time of the year, and I have lots of things I am looking forward to blog about, but I can't bear to part with the summer quite yet so I thought I would do a design for those of you that are hanging onto the last few days of summer.


Blue is one of my favourite colours, and in my opinion this time of year is the perfect time to wear it.  Transitioning through summer to autumn means you are likely to have a tan, well if not a tan slightly more colour than in the middle of December, and blue is a great way to make yourself look more tanned.  I have chosen 2 shade of blue for this design, a pastel blue and a sky blue, both lovely colours.

The darker of the 2 shades is this gorgeous sky blue colour that is not to vivid, or the dark but the perfect colour blue colour from Barry M called "Blueberry Ice Cream" number 306.  In my opinion the colour reminds me more of the colour of a blue smartie, so that will give you some indication of the true colour.  I have had this colour in my collection for ages now, and every time I wear it I wonder why I don't wear it more as I always get compliments on the colour.  You can pick this up quite cheaply from Superdrug in store/ Superdrug website, Boots in store/ Boots website or on the Barry M website.  I love Barry M as their nail paints come in such a range of colours, they apply beautifully and they are very cheap, £2.99 for 10ml.  It always amazes me how well this product applies, as it is q relatively thick consistency it means that it only needs 1 coat in my opinion, 2 if you are really concerned about the opacity.


For the other blue I have used Revlon's "Blue Lagoon" which is number 044, which I got last summer so although you can't get this in store you might be able to find it on the internet or on ebay somewhere.  I picked this colour up because of the light blue colour which I did not have in my collection.  What makes this unique is that it is a light blue colour with extremely finely milled glitter which doesn't even look like glitter but gives the colour a slight shiny appearance in the bottle.  This was very intriguing because I thought this would be a nice alternative to when I don't feel in the mood for a thick and chunky glitter polish.  But unfortunately the glitter is so finely milled that it is not really noticeable on the nails which is a shame but I still love the colour and it is a colour that comes out throughout spring and summer.  This polish requires a few more coats, I applied about 3 coats to create a more opaque colour.

The combination of the light blue and the sky blue I think are summery enough to last you through the last few full days of sunshine but also won't look out of place at the beginning of the autumnal season.

Let me know if you like to wear blue nails this time of year? Or what is your favourite colour to wear on your nails when the weather is becoming a bit more autumnal?

If you give this type of 2 toned blue nail design let me know, you can tweet me a picture me twitter name is @colourfulnails1, I would love to see you designs.

3 comments:

  1. Blues like those definitely make me think of summer! They remind me of the summer sky...perhaps not in this country but in holiday brochures at least :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they remind me of that too, but definitely not in this country! xx

      Delete
  2. Nice blues.

    the-renaissance-of-inner-fashion.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete